Best First Questions to Ask at a PCYP Event
It’s completely normal to be nervous at an event, especially if it’s your first one. It’s also normal to be nervous at your tenth event when you want to initiate a conversation with someone you’ve never met before. But pushing through that nervousness is the difference between growing personally and professionals versus staying in your comfort zone. What’s important to keep in mind when it comes to PCYP, is that everyone is there to meet new people- that’s the entire point! Once you’re able to get past being nervous, you can enjoy the process of genuinely getting to know someone and discovering exciting possibilities for work, referrals, and/or friendship.
In order to help alleviate some of that nervousness, we polled our amazing PCYP Ambassadors at our last social to discover…
What question do you like to first ask when meeting someone at a Port City Young Professionals networking event?
We collected these gems and are sharing them with you!
Great FIRST questions to ask if you’re approaching someone new or someone new has introduced themselves to you.
- What are you most excited about in your life right now?
- Who are you looking to meet here?
- What brought you to Wilmington?
- How did you learn about Port City Young Professionals?
What interested you in (Fill In The Blank) conference?”
What are you hoping to get out of Port City Young Professionals?
What are you looking forward to at the event?
- Where are you from originally?
- What do you do for work?
- How many Port City Young Professionals events have you been to?
- What is your favorite thing to do in Wilmington?Do you know anyone here?
- Have you ever been to (insert venue name here) before?
Follow-up questions once you’ve introduced yourself and gotten to know them a little.
- Where do you see yourself in 2 years?
- If you could go anywhere tomorrow, where would you go and why?
- What are your goals for 2020 and how can I help you achieve them?
- Soft shell or hard shell tacos?
- Mountains or beach?
- Have you started using the PCYP app?
- Who/what type of business is a good referral partner for you?
- What are your short term goals and how can PCYP help you achieve them? (What brought you to Port City Young Professionals?)
- If you were a superlative, what would you be?
- What is something unique about you that people here should know?
- Do you have any hiring needs?
We hope these help you break the ice at your next event!